Tuesday, February 27, 2007

One of Those Days

This morning started out well. I snoozed once more than I should have, but managed to shower and dress fairly quickly. I only put on one outfit, as opposed to putting on pants and a top, deciding the top doesn't work, finding a top I like, but then having to change the pants and then searching for socks and shoes.

I left the house about five minutes later than planned, not bad. I drive to work on Tuesdays and Wednesdays because I have class after work. Class gets out at nine, and I don't really like the idea of waiting for the bus or train to get to the train station to take Metra home that late at night.

Driving to work blows. What should be a 25-30 minute drive takes at least an hour and, if I don't get on the road by 6:45, it takes at least an hour and a half, sometimes more. So, I head out, all happy about being on time and planning to get gas on the way, because my light was on and I was low.

I usually go to the Shell station on Dempster, across the street from Notre Dame High School. They aren't always the cheapest, but usually they are so, even if they're a penny more, I'm okay with that, because they are consistently cheap. This gas station is not close to my house, but it is on the way to 94. As I neared the gas station I realized I didn't have my wallet. I went to bowling Monday night and took my wallet out of my purse. Then this morning, when I was switching purses, the wallet was on the floor, I didn't see it and didn't think about it.

So, I kept driving, muttering to myself, wondering what I should do. If I could get to work, I know one of my work friends would loan my money for gas. But would I get to work? Had it not been morning rush hour, maybe, but it was morning rush hour. Did I really want to risk it?


So, I turned around and drove home. By the time I got home, got my wallet, got gas and got back on the road, it was an hour later than when I started.

If you think traffic stinks at 7am, you should see it at 8am. JEEBUS.

I took surface streets as far as I could without risking getting lost (I get lost easily) and then got on the highway.

I got to work at 9:15.


No comments: