Wednesday, February 07, 2007

It's a two-fer!

So, I posted my life rating, which is fun, but I don't really have anything to say about that. I did think that I would score lower, because I thought I was answering the questions wrong, but I guess my life is pretty ok.

What I really wanted to talk about is rush-hour traffic reports.

Since my shower is still not fixed, I drive to work pretty much every day. I was driving Tuesdays and Wednesdays, because I have class after work and it is easier to drive than take the train. Now I drive on Mondays too so that I can shower at work. I leave pretty early to ensure that I'll get up to my desk on time and to minimize the chance that someone in my office will know that I'm in the shower. It's just not a conversation I really want to have.

ANYWAY. Yesterday I drove because it was Tuesday, though I skipped the shower (the showers here are not great, and I don't really like to use them, so I shower every other day). It took me over two hours to drive to work yesterday. Yuck.

So, today, I left at 6:30am. I wanted to get out earlier, but I overslept and traffic is usually light that early, so I thought it would be ok. It wasn't. I didn't get to work until ten to eight, which is better than a two hour drive, but only by forty minutes.

I understand why there is traffic, there's an accident, whatever, that's fine. What I can't stand are the traffic reports. Things like "it's getting pretty heavy on the big road that you drive on, so make sure to leave early today and give yourself some extra time." What?

I don't know about you, but my morning routine is pretty tightly scheduled. There is no leisurely unaccounted for time that I could use for driving. I don't sit and read the paper or make pancakes for breakfast. How am I supposed to give myself some extra time? I hate that. Plus, I don't listen to the radio in the morning - because I'm just trying to get out of the house, so when I hear you tell me to leave a little more time, I'M ALREADY IN MY CAR!

jeez.

1 comment:

manogirl said...

Yep, I don't really listen to traffic reports. Well, that's not true. In the morning I listen, but only to make sure that I don't need to take my alternate route. I'm also SUPER lucky because I don't have to be at work at any certain time. So my alternate route takes about 10-15 min more than the Eisenhower on a normal day; if the Ike is bad, I know I've got that other option.

Otherwise, it's useless. I've gotta go to work, and I've gotta do certain things in the morning before I get there, such as shower and dress and make a lunch. I'm with you. There's no leisure time in my morning. And I'm sure as hell not staying at work later to avoid traffic going home.