Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Kids Say the Darndest Things

So, Mavis wants something to do at work. You know, besides her job. Whenever I am too busy to blog, I have a million ideas of things I want to remember to say here. When I have time - which, actually, right now I do not - I can think of nothing to say. But, I didn't want Mavis to be bored and forced to actually work - what would she do if she started turning in things before deadline? She might be forced to work MORE. And I just can't be responsible for that.

Thankfully, Bitch PhD has provided me with some material. She recently wrote about her son's fashion advice here. Definitely worth a quick read.

Her son's advice reminded me of a similarly offensive, yet funny, comment one of my cousins made to me.

This particular cousin is about ten years younger than me. We were at my parents' house during a family reunion. It was summer in Georgia, so I was wearing a little summer dress that was kind of fitted. It was the summer after my freshman year of college, where I had gained the requisite 15 (ok, probably more) pounds. I was never, ever thin, but I had been in better shape. My cousin, who was about 8 at the time, looks up at me and says "You're chubby. But you're cute!"

Um... thanks? I think she truly meant it as a compliment. She was, and still sort of is, stick-thin, as is her mother. Most of my family is pretty athletic, and I think she was genuinely surprised to see someone "chubby" who she really thought was cute. Though I knew she really thought she was giving me a compliment, it was really hard not to punch her cute little face.

There are more (lots more) funny things kids have said here. Enjoy. But, be forewarned, there's a lot here and it is very entertaining, so if you have something that needs to be done, you should do it first.

No comments: