Friday, December 15, 2006

How 'bout "Frosty the Snowman"

When I was little, "Frosty the Snowman" was my favorite song to sing. I used to sit on my dad's lap, put my hands on his face and say: "What should we sing? How 'bout 'Frosty the Snowman?'" All year 'round. I didn't care whether or not it was Christmas. That's a good song. Annie Lenox's version of it? Sucks! Our satellite TV has Sirius radio and about three or four stations are Christmas music. It also has an all Elvis channel which is obviously my favorite, though I hate his "Blue Christmas" because of those high-pitch "ooo-oo-oooos" in the background. But I digress.

I was going to post yesterday, I had a great idea even, but I was at work and as I started to write it people kept coming to my desk, expecting me to do my job. It was really annoying. And now I've forgotten what I was going to say. Instead, I'll talk about Christmas some more.

Our stockings have gone missing. I ordered stockings from Pottery Barn - red velvet with a green velvet cuff - and had them embroidered: Rita, Mr, and a lil' booty for Hank. They are awesome. I've always wanted nice matching stockings and now I have a mantel to hang them from. Only. The stockings are gone.

At some point in the packing process, Mr opened the box they were in and I know I said to leave them in the box, but they have not been found in the unpacking process or in the searching-the-house-seven-times process. I think maybe someone - and I'm really not blaming anyone - accidentally threw the box out. It was small and would have felt empty as stockings are not very heavy. So, I went to CVS and got cheap-o stockings that were $2 a piece. Not what I had originally hoped for, but they do all match and now there are stockings on my mantle. I hope the old ones can be found someday. With the embroidering and everything, it was close to $60. It's not going to make or break me, but I don't think I can justify spending that much on stockings again.

I'm going Christmas shopping after work today. I have to get gifts for two co-workers, Mr's mom and dad, one of my aunts, and my cousin. I know what to get for everyone except my aunt and one co-worker. I'm hoping to miraculously get everything done in time to catch the 5:47 train home. I don't think it will happen, but it is Friday, so it isn't like I can't get home a little late. Mr can walk Hank. In the meme yesterday, I talked about how much I like giving presents (I mean, I love getting stuff, but I really enjoy finding something I know someone will like). It just makes me happy and makes me feel like it is really Christmas. I'm worried though, for when I have kids.

I can't even explain how much I love buying stuff for my dog. When I buy a new rawhide bone or special treat and give it to him... Man. His eyes light up. He opens his eyes really wide like he can't even believe what he's getting and then he gingerly takes it out of my hand - like he doesn't want to grab it too fast because he's afraid it might go away. And then he trots off, tail wagging. It makes me so happy. If the treat is really good, he kind can't even chew on it, he just runs laps around the house with it in his mouth, whining and barking. It's awesome. If I like giving stuff to my dog, imagine how hard it will be to resist getting stuff for the kids. My kid will be so spoiled.

I also said hot chocolate over egg nog and I have to say, I'm one of the few people I know who actually like egg nog. Being lactose intolerant, I can't have much of it, but I love egg nog. It's Christmas to me. However, if you throw some peppermint schnapps into some really cheap hot chocolate... man, oh, man is that good. My favorite is to bring a little airplane sized bottle into a Notre Dame football game and pour it into a hot chocolate. Now that makes football fun.

No comments: